My boys! (on the left, kinesthetic, on the right, visual)

My boys! (on the left, kinesthetic, on the right, visual)

Thursday, December 3, 2009

After taking the learning style quiz.......

Like i stated in my last post, I learn more hands on, but do ok visually also. I was instructed to go to http://victorhugor.blogspot.com/ and go to the May 09 posts about learning styles. Wow....Talk about eye opening.

What really grabbed my attention was an artical from 1999 entitled "different strokes for different folks" by Stahl. For more information, a link has been provided.
What caught my eye and led me to look at this site were exerts from the article. The first was many of the supporting learning style theory is not based on reliable study. Kind of sounds like the latest on the global warming theory. Is someone trying to cram something down educators throats?

What hit home more than anything in any of my reading was another quote from the blog that stated "... Never rely totally on any one method, but try to vary them. If a student does not seem to be learning, consider whether his/her learning style might be at odds with your teaching style. Remain flexible and be able to change planned learning activities if students are having trouble in a given area.”

That makes more sense than anything i have read so far! Be flexable.

http://www.aft.org/pubs-reports/american_educator/fall99/DiffStrokes.pdf

4 comments:

  1. Paul,

    I absolutely agree, instructors must remain flexible. Far too many simply teach their courses as if they were trains on a set track. They do not deviate or adapt to their situation. I feel that this is a distinct disadvantage for their students, especially those who do not fit into the learning style presented by the instructor.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that too! Be flexible. That is the key. Know your students - just like you labeled your picture. You know them well and can teach them to their learning style. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul:

    I concur with Scott and Jason! It can get overwhelming attempting to digest all of the information regarding learning styles. As facilitators, the ultimate bottom line should revolve around offering growth for our learners. It might not always be easy or convenient, but flexibility is key to better execute our goal of offering opportunities for growth! Thanks for pointing out an important thought that could prove to strengthen our teaching!

    On a side note---I enjoyed how shared not only a picture of your children, but tied their diverse learning styles into your blog. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I agree with everyone that instructors must be flexible, I think the students should be flexible as well. Not every single class that a person takes is going to fit right in to the way that they learn. They cannot always expect the instructors to bend and adjust to them. At some point, as learners, we all need to be able to adjust the way that we learn, not just the way we teach.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete