My boys! (on the left, kinesthetic, on the right, visual)

My boys! (on the left, kinesthetic, on the right, visual)

Friday, December 11, 2009

reflections..........assignment 4.2

When I first started this course, I knew little about learning styles. I knew my students and I knew some of them were cut out for this field while others were not. I wouldn't hold hands and if they didn't learn it the way I would teach it, I would go over it again and again and again, and, like my new lab puppy, figured that with repitition it would sink in, and if it didn't, then too bad. Maybe they need to try horticulture or welding or something not as high tech.

I took a learning quiz and found out what kind of learner I was, and what all that meant. I did some other reading and found out most of us are a combination of all the different learning styles, and most of us tend to lean a little towards one way or the other. I assumed most of the students I am teaching, because of the field I am in, and because of the hands on environment we are in, would be similar to me in my learning. How wrong I was.

I went home and had each of my children take the quiz and discovered my youngest is a hands on type of a kid, an my oldest is more visual. I guess that does not surprise me too much since my youngest is always taking things apart and surprisingly able to get them back togather again. My oldest has no real urge to take things apart. He is kind of a brainiac.

I have learned I need to be a lot more diverse in my teachings both in lab and in lecture. I am going to give the quiz to my students during the first week of school and am going to start by giving the quiz to my current students when they come back from the Christmas break ....opps, can I say Christmas on this site?? I think so.

I am going to try to mix things up a little more in class and am going to try to not be so short with my kids. My youngest needs to be told a few times and kicked in the butt on occasion to get him to remember and do things, while my oldest just needs a note. This must be something I can blame my wife for.

I wonder what learning style my pup has? What catagorie would a doggie biscuit fall into?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul,
    I finally see the light....
    For me, repetition can be very effective. I mean, you don't have to constantly beat me over the head with it....but hey! Sometimes, the second time around, points out a very important fact or step, that was missed the the first time. You know, maybe your wife knows that your youngest is just waiting for you to repeat things, because you realized you left something out the first time...good try huh! ;)

    ReplyDelete